At a meeting of several of the inhabitants of the Ward of Cheap held at the Guildhall Coffee House on 2"4 December 1863, it was resolved "that a desire to establish a Society in the Ward for the purpose neighbourly and Ward intercourse to be called the 'Ward of Cheap Amicable Society'". The name perhaps sounded too similar to a life assurance company and at the first official meeting on 15'" December 1863, the name was changed to the "Ward of Cheap Club", which it retains to the present day.
The Club is proud of its history. The Club held its 150th Anniversary celebrations in 2013, which included the presentation of a specially designed planter bearing the Ward's crest in Guildhall Yard and the Dedication of a new stained glass window in St Lawrence Jewry.
History and tradition is all very well but the Club will always follow its guiding principle of fostering “neighbourly and Ward intercourse" and to others outside its boundaries. A warm, friendly welcome extends to all who join us. More details and an application form to join the club can be found on our website.