The Company originated in 1908 and was the brainchild
of 4 solicitors practising in the City at that time. It became the second of
the modern livery companies (no.79) on 24th May 1944 and later petitioned for and
received its Royal Charter on 21st June 1957. The Company’s motto is “Lex Libertatis Origo” which
can be freely translated as “Freedom’s foundation is the Law”. There are
currently 378 Liverymen and 1471 Freemen.
The Company operates a Charitable Fund which supports good causes either related to the Law or the City and its neighbouring boroughs. It also acts as Trustee to the City Solicitors’ Educational Trust which has given grants of over £8.8 million over the past 20 years to approximately 70 higher educational institutions in support of the study of law.
Its sister organisation “The City of London Law Society” represents the professional interests of City solicitors. It now has 60 Corporate members covering over 14,000 solicitors working in the City.