The Girdlers' Company which was involved with the making
of girdles (or belts), received its Letters Patent from Edward III in 1327.
While it no longer practises its craft — although it has the honour of
presenting the girdle and stole worn by the Sovereign at each coronation —
it remains a Company closely connected with the government and Livery
Companies of the City of London, the fellowship of its members and various
In 1431 Andrew Hunt bequeathed the Company buildings and land which are substantially the site of the present Hall. Hunt's buildings became the Company's Hall, which was developed and improved over the years. In common with many other livery halls, this building was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The replacement, built in 1681 at a cost of some £1,500, was destroyed by enemy action in 1940, and rebuilt in 1961.
In 2006, the Company decided to refurbish the Hall and to add a further floor. Work on this project started straight after Election Day 2007 and was completed in May 2008. The Hall contains a number of items precious to the Company, including the Bell Carpet, commissioned by Past Master Robert Bell (a prominent member of the East India Company) in 1630, woven in Lahore and presented in 1634. The Company is also extremely proud of its garden which regularly wins prizes in the City of London garden competitions.